When it comes to the different types of fenestration, there’s always much more than what meets the eye. In addition to the traditional window and exterior doors, there are many different types of fenestration products and systems.
Let’s take a quick review of the history of different types of fenestration products and systems. Continue reading to learn more about some of the most basic types of fenestration systems and products.
Window Types of Fenestration Systems
Before 1900 in the United States, most windows were made with wood frame. While there were some iron, steel, and bronze types of fenestration windows in production, this wasn’t the primary practice. Across the pond around 1900, British manufacturers started using rolled steel shapes to create special rail profiles for windows.
Two of the larger British steel window companies started manufacturing facilities to create rolled steel windows in the U.S., which was a valued upgrade over the practice of using wood. Following catastrophic fires in San Francisco, Chicago, Boston, and Baltimore; new building regulations restricted the use of wood and other types of combustible materials in construction.
After World War II, the technology of extruding steel and aluminum frames for windows gained a significant amount of popularity. In the 1990s, approximately 65% of the commercial window market included aluminum-framed windows. The remaining 35% of the market is comprised up of steel-framed windows, vinyl-framed windows, and wood-framed windows.
Glazing Types of Fenestration Systems
Glass has been used in homes and buildings for thousands of years to provide protection from the weather while allowing sunlight into the structure. In the 1950s, the creation of the float glass process made way for the mass production of high quality flat glass, which is basically how the majority of architectural glass is created today.
Today, virtually all new skylights, curtain walls, and windows for commercial buildings and residential homes will feature some element of glazing for additional comfort and energy efficiency.
Sloped Glazing & Skylight Types of Fenestration Products
For more than 100 years, skylights have been used to provide beautiful flashes of brilliant daylight. Older skylight systems were made up of plate glass situated in metal frames. These original skylights incorporated both a decorative diffuser interior as well as welcomed exterior light. Today, most skylights are made up of insulating glazing captured in aluminum frames that are offered in a range of modern configurations.
Curtain Walls Types of Fenestration
Curtain walls are any exterior wall attached to the building structure. While curtain walls can include precast concrete panels and brick veneer, these structures do not carry any roof or floor loads of the building. Curtain walls systems clad a building envelope with aluminum and glass to protect the inside of the building from the elements and create a safe environment for building occupants.
Curtain walls are designed to resist water, resist air infiltration, and resist the sway caused by seismic forces and wind. It’s important to understand curtain walls are only designed to carry their own weight.
Curtain walls typically span from floor to floor, span across multiple floors, or be used in punched opening applications. Curtain walls should take into various design facets into consideration, such as:
Window Walls Types of Fenestration
Window walls have emerged as an alternative design feature to the standard curtain wall. Window walls are innovative solutions designed to meet the market requirements of ventilation, aesthetics, cost, flexibility, and speed.
A growing trend in mid to high rise new construction has shifted toward mixed-use and residential applications. And since people want living spaces with a more residential feel, window walls allow for these design elements, such as:
Unlike curtain walls, window walls bolster sound attenuation by reducing continuous members spanning the height of the buildings. While curtain walls can resonate sounds that start at lower levels and emit it through the interior tube, window walls reduce the transmission of sound and add to the multi-family application advantages.
Contact Frank Lowe for Different Types of Fenestration System
Whether you're manufacturing skylights, doors, windows, or any other type of fenestration product, Frank Lowe can help. We are an experienced, customer-focused, flexible custom manufacturing partner with the state-of-the-art equipment and expertise to respond to your unique needs. Since 1955, we've been the premier one-stop-shop for custom fenestration products and components.
Contact Frank Lowe today to explore, pursue, and create different types of fenestration systems.